Henley Town Red Kites Win Two Cup Matches

henley-town-footballHeadington Amateurs 3 Henley Town 4 after extra time

Oxfordshire Senior Cup (First Round)  – Saturday 19 October

Because Headington Amateurs haven’t got floodlights The Red Kites had to travel to Oxford for an early 1-30pm Kick off in the 1st round of the Oxfordshire Senior Cup. Once again injuries, suspension and work commitments meant Town had to dig deep into their playing resources to field two teams at the weekend. Centre Back Warren Baxter will hopefully be back soon after a long layoff due to an ankle injury, Carl Sims couldn’t make the early kick off due to work commitment so he helped out the reserves, Brett Rann, Jordan Sawyer unavailable and captain Graham Sims was serving a one match suspension then Darragh 0’Callaghan pulled out at the last minute due to family problems. The Red Kites had young Nepalese midfielder Rupen Lupen on the bench and gave him his first Hellenic League taste of Hellenic League football.

Henley started brightly and were unlucky to fall behind in the 25th minute but they kept plugging away and levelled the scores through Louis Howell 10 minutes later. Before the interval the home side started to gain the initiative and scored again in the 40th minute to lead at the break.

The momentum shifted back to the Red Kites after the interval the visitors were well on top but couldn’t break down a well organised Headington defence until they had a slice of luck in the 85th minute when a Billy Gordon effort was deflected past keeper Harry Jenkins to force the match into extra time. Sam Cripps put Henley in front 2 minutes into the extra period and then notched his second goal in the 103rd minute to give the Red Kites a 4-2 cushion. Headington Amateurs pulled a goal to make it 4-3 after 106 minutes. But Henley defended sturdily for the remaining 14 minutes to go into the second round to play Marston Saints at home in mid November.

Team: Ashley East: Victor Sesay, Mitch Cooper, Andrew Nunn, Richard Thomas; Dan Faherty. Billy Gordon. Ryan Witt, Matt Godwin: Sanchez Commack, Louis Howell. Subs Used Sam Cripps. Rupen Limbu.

Ascot United 0 Henley Town  1

Hellenic League Floodlit Cup – Tuesday 15 October

Henley Town put in a spirited performance to win 1-0 and knock Premier Division Ascot United out of the Hellenic League Floodlit Cup at the Racecourse ground on Tuesday evening. The Red Kites took the lead in the 16th minute when Mitch Cooper and Graham Sims forced Ascot Keeper Chris Grace into knocking the ball to Darragh O’Callaghan who put it into the net. The game was end to end and played at a high tempo with both sides having chances to score but both defences were in top form.

The only goal of the game was scored in the 16th minute when a Red Kites corner wasn’t cleared properly cleared by the Ascot defence and fell to Darragh O’Callaghan who almost walked into the net.

As the half progressed Ascot United started to create chances with Joe Yates going close, an Ian Brooks shot deflected for a corner and Arafat Kabuye again shooting just over the bar.

After the versatile Sam Cripps came on to replace the injured Andrew Nunn and slotted in well in the centre of defence but it was almost all one way traffic as The Yellamen looked to draw level. On 50 minutes Matt Jones somehow placed the ball wide from a great Andy Dean cross. 5 minutes later and Jack Smillie saw his strike from the edge of the box smack against the upright with the Henley keeper Ashley East beaten.

It got even more frustrating as on 75 minutes Leon Yarnie found Jones in space just inside the box, but with the goal at his mercy he shot wide. With time running out Kabuye picked out Jones in space again, this time he shot over.

Although under the cosh for large periods of the match the Red Kites dug in and defended in depth restricting Ascot to shooting from distance.

Team: Ashey East; Victor Sesay, Mitch Cooper, Andrew Nunn, Karl Sims; Dan Faherty, Billy Gordon, Graham Sims, Matt Godwin; Sanchez Commack, Darragh O’Callaghan; Subs Used: Sam Cripps (for A,Nunn 46mins), Louis Howell (for S.Commack 60mins), Ryan Witt (for G.Sims (85mins) Subs not used: Tom Shepherd and Richard Thomas.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.